Nomination period open: 6 - 31 March 2017
Terms & Conditions
Australian Institute of Architects members wishing to nominate an individual or collaboration are asked to submit the following via the online entry system. Nominators will be asked to provide the following information:
- the nominator’s name and contact details
- the nominee’s name and contact details
- a brief (max 150 words) outlining the reason for the nomination
Once a nomination has been made, the nominee will be invited to continue with the submission. Should they wish to accept the nomination; the nominee will be asked to submit the following entry material via the online entry system:
- a statement addressing each of the key criteria items outlined in the judging criteria (two A4 pages maximum)
- a resume: four A4 pages maximum (please ensure you provide the architectural registration number, date of registration and date of graduation for each individual being nominated)
- a portfolio of works: this can include built and unbuilt work (five A4 pages maximum)
- two references: from an employer or clients
- photo of entrant(s) – this can be uploaded separately to the requirements above
- entry requirements listed above must be uploaded on a single PDF document and must not exceed 5MB
- finalists may be asked by their local Chapter to submit additional materials to the local jury including CDs or hard copies
Check with your local Chapter for more information.
Eligibility & criteria
Entrants, as an individual or as part of collaboration, must each fulfil the following prize criteria:
(i) Must be within 15 years of graduation and have first been registered as an Architect anywhere, not more than 10 years ago.
(ii) Must enter in the Chapter in which they are currently residing.
(iii) Must be self-nominated or nominated by a member of the Institute (if a non-member is nominated, they will be given the opportunity to become a member before submission of stage 2).
(iv) Once nominated, must complete the required entry form.
(v) A minimum of three (3) eligible entries must be received by the closing date or the Jury may decide not to award a winner.
(vi) The Chapter Jury may choose not to award a state winner if they feel the entries received are not of a high enough standard or do not fulfill the judging criteria.
(vii) Previous recipients of the Chapter or National Prize are not eligible to enter.
(viii) Submission must be received by the closing date determined by each Chapter.
State and national juries will judge entries based on the following criteria:
- excellence in architectural practice, research or education
- involvement in Australian Institute of Architects activities and/or forums of similar professional bodies
- contribution to architecture through leadership within the profession
- contribution to community activities such as charity and voluntary work related to the profession is not essential but would be judged favourably
The prize Chapter winner
- $1000 cash prize
- Sponsored to attend the National Architecture Conference
The 2017 National Emerging Architect will be announced later in 2017, chosen from the 2016 Chapter Winners.