Committees & forums
In addition to the Chapter Council, there are the following associated committees and forums. For more information about these, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
These senior counsellors provide advice to architects and the public.
Patrick Pinder LFRAIA
ph: 08 9368 1791
Paul Wellington FRAIA
ph: 08 9388 3403
Michael Croudace LFRAIA
ph: 08 9384 4576
Tony De Leo LFRAIA
ph: 08 9341 5230
John Flower OAM FRAIA
ph: 08 9386 6967
George Sheldon FRAIA
ph: 08 9386 3763
Urban Design Committee
Peter Hobbs chairs the Urban Design Committee. Its role is to see that architecture is core to the public discussions on planning and urban design. The role of the Urban Design Committee is to:
- advise Chapter Council on urban design and town planning issues and projects which have an impact on urban design
- respond to invitations for the Institute of Architects to comment on urban design and town planning initiatives
- ensure that the Institute of Architects comments on issues of importance in the field of urban design and town planning
- develop strategies for addressing issues of concern in the field of urban design and town planning
The WA Education Committee develops the chapter's Education Policy. It ensures that the WA schools of architecture produce graduates who are sufficiently educated and competent to practice architecture. Dean Wood is the chair of the Education Committee.
Rod Mollett is the chair of the WA Honours Committee. Its role is to offer suggestions and make recommendations for civic honours, life fellowships, fellows and the like.
The Practice Committee seeks to promote and improve the standards of service provided by WA architectural practices to the community from Institute members and other building design professionals. David Hillam is the chair.
BIM Committee (Building Information Modelling)
The Western Australian BIM committee is passionate about BIM and consists of representatives from Architecture, Engineering, Government, Education, Legal, Construction, Manufacturing and Cost Control.
They strive to utilise their diverse expertise, sharing experiences and ideas across all sectors using BIM in Australia. Monthly meetings are results-driven with no BIM-topic too hard. A key aim is to improve standardisation, education and demystification of BIM in Australia. The Committee can provide clear, practical advice and guidance on all matters relating to BIM. Luiz de Aguiar is the Chair of the BIM committee.
Philip Griffiths chairs the WA Heritage Committee. It acts as an advisory group to WA Chapter staff who are responsible for the administration of the Institute’s Heritage Policy. It also has oversight of:
WA Architectural Archives
- established a State Architectural Archive in conjunction with Battye Library
- develops and publishes an archival policy
- develops short-term goals to progress archives
WA Heritage Register (biographies)
- publishes biographies of significant WA architects on this website
- links to Institute National Heritage Registers to the WA state pages
Education and training
- Working with the Institute's WA Chapter on heritage CPD sessions
Mimi Cho is the chair of Merge. It represents the interests of graduates and emerging architects on a national level on key issues and challenges relating to architectural practice in Perth. Merge provides opportunities for members to network with other architectural and building industry.
Peter Jones chairs the WA Chapter Access Committee. The committee's brief is to observe legislative changes that affect building accessibility, to advise the WA Chapter Council and the membership, and to run CPD sessions on access.
The aim of the WA Sustainability Committee, chaired by Carolyn Marshall, is to positively influence the development of government policy, legislation and the activities of the building and construction industry in ways that are consistent with the Institute’s Sustainability Policy.